Why I hate fashion trends
- Every new season I’m invaded with the crushing feeling that I “must” have new things. I’m a shopaholic and trying to work on it gets really hard when I see new stuff everywhere: magazines, my favorite fashion blogs, stores…
- Fashion trends make everyone kinda look the same. And as soon as I fall in love with some new fashion idea I hope everyone else won’t too.
- Sometimes trends are some old refashioned and overpriced idea.
Why I love fashion trends
- Every new season there’s something new, like a breath of fresh air: new items, colors, styles.It’s like a new beginning.
- I like that idea of surprise, of what’s going to come next. Yhings that I’ve never thought of.
- Some new fashion trends are new ways of wearing something. I’m very excited to find out ways to repurpose in a creative and beautiful style.
How do I deal with it?
In the amazing land of new things that come out every season, here are some strategies to be fashionable without making myself crazy:
-I try to see what I already have on my wardrobe that might be trendy so I won’t spend too much money. There are treasures in our wardrobe waiting to be (re) discovered.
- I research blogs and pinterest for inspiration and I’m usually fortunate to find gorgeous ideas with things I already have and also DIY’s (Do it yourself) tutorials that are great guides to refresh your style without spending too much.
- If I like a color, a print or a theme that’s stylish right now, I try to buy accessories with the theme. For example, I love everything with owls so I bought necklaces,earrings and rings. Scarves are also a great option. That way you get to be fashionable with trends you like and at the same time you don’t have to spend a fortune.
-The same goes for colors. This season, for example is mint green’s time to shine. So I try to invest in accessories like scarves, shoes and bags within a certain (low) price range
-Regarding clothes, if I like a model that’s on during this season, I might buy one or two items. But I try to be sure that I really like it and that I’d like it when the season is over. I try to make sure that I really liked it and it’s not just a “must have” knee jerk reaction. I’m trying hard to change my shopping conduct and overcome the shopaholic behavior (or at least deal with it a little better, in ways that won’t bankrupt me).
- Although I’m not big on looking like everyone else I try to keep in mind that one piece of clothing looks very different in each person and can be styled in many ways.
For instance, one same trendy dress can be worn in different styles. Since we chose different accessories, hair styles and our bodies are diverse, I believe that we’ll have our unique version anyway :)
What about you? How do you feel about fashion trends? I’d love to know!
Patricia Morgado is a Brazilian teacher, jewelry designer and a self acceptance and fashion blogger. She has a degree in Pedagogy and a Master's degree in Human Rights Education. She believes that the key to a happy life is learning to love ourselves. She also believes that fashion is for everyBODY. You can find her jewlery work at Madame Papu's.